Registration and networking breakfast
Panel discussion – Understanding new regulations and market conditions
The cannabis industry is fast-moving and is subject to fluid market conditions. Changes can occur on almost day-to-day bases. In this panel discussion, hear from industry experts on new regulations and market trends within the cannabis industry that are impacting insurers nationwide.
- What are the insurance implications of the SAFE Banking Act, vaping laws and other 2019 regulatory acts?
- Are there new or evolving cannabis related regulations occurring in 2020 and beyond?
- How is the insurance market evolving under new laws to support industry developments?
Attorney, Ritter Spencer
Senior Underwriter, Canopius Group
Panel discussion – Cannabis 101: what cannabis clients need in a coverage policy
The cannabis industry is an extremely underserved market segment. Companies struggle to find coverage that serves every one of their changing needs. In this panel discussion, hear from leading cannabis companies on the inner workings of their businesses to gain insight to where risk lies, and what coverage is needed.
- What are the key risk areas unique to the commercial cannabis industry in need of more comprehensive coverage?
- How are cannabis companies currently mitigating loss and how do these best practices impact coverage?
- What insurance products exist that have served cannabis companies well in the past? What is currently lacking with these products?
Chairman, The National Cannabis Risk Management Association
Cannabis Practice Group Team Leader, Crouse and Associates Insurance Brokers
Morning refreshments and networking break
Insuring a controlled substance: a deep dive into product liability
High risk businesses, such as cannabis, present particularly complicated liabilities. What if someone is injured whilst using cannabis products or has a bad reaction? Do your client’s current policies cover those losses? This session deep dives into product liability and insurance solutions best suited to protect your clients.
Insurance Broker, Heffernan Insurance
Panel discussion – Strategies for effective claims handling
Loss is inevitable in high risk industries and cannabis is no exception. This panel discussion examines the latest claims trends and coverage pitfalls seen throughout the industry, and the best practices for assessing loss.
- What are the most common trends in cannabis loss claims?
- Where have coverage policies fallen short, leaving room for costly losses?
- What are the best strategies for handling and accessing claims when they occur?
Commercial Property Supervisor, Effective Claims Management Inc.
Claims Supervisor, Canopius Group
The key to insuring across stateliness
The cannabis market is one of the fastest growing industries in the US. Though more states legalize every year, discrepancies still exist between federal and state cannabis law. This session looks at how to overcome these boundaries when insuring across state lines.
- How do state-by-state regulations and conflicts with federal cannabis law impact the insurance market?
- What are the challenges and liabilities associated with cannabis companies operating, selling and transporting goods across state lines?
- What solutions are available for transactional risks as cannabis business expand nationwide?
Panel discussion – Market expansion: The ins and outs of the booming hemp and CBD industry
While cannabis continues to be federally illegal, Hemp and CBD products have flooded the market in recent months, with different coverage requirements and regulations. This panel of experts explains the hemp market’s status, new regulations, coverage opportunities and loss mitigation techniques in this sector.
- What are defining differences between the hemp, CBD and cannabis industries?
- How have recent changes to regulations, including the 2018 Farm Bill and FDA codes, effected the insurance industry in this sector?
- What unique liabilities does the hemp and CBD market present?
Founder & Executive Director, California Hemp Association and California Hemp Foundation
Founder & CEO, CannaCauses Foundation
Actuarial Consultant, Merlinos & Associates, Inc.
Vice President, Professional Program Insurance Brokerage